NIWA's National Climate Centre offers a range of commercial consultancy services to government, businesses and individuals. We help people make sustainable policy decisions, manage their operations and reduce the economic and environmental impact of a changing and variable climate.
These services are made possible by our specialist knowledge of climate systems, our ready access to the New Zealand climate database (which we maintain) and our world class computer models, supercomputers and modeling experts. We also operate hundreds of climate monitoring stations across New Zealand.
Some examples of recent consultancy:
- meteorological hazard assessments (e.g. floods, storms, lightning etc.) for emergency services and national infrastructure companies
- analysis of high intensity rainfall for the planning and maintenance of urban stormwater systems
- analysis of frost trends in New Zealand and the implications for horticulture
- providing accurate projections of irrigation demand for regional council water allocation planning
- identification of potential growing areas for alternate crop and tree species based on climate, soil and topographic information
- providing accurate projections of weather data and forecasts for unmonitored sites across New Zealand for the dairy industry
- developing computer simulations of New Zealand’s future climate based on global climate model projections. These results were used to create national guidance (risk and planning) manuals for the Government
- monthly and seasonal climate guidance for the agricultural and energy sectors
- resource assessments for wind and solar energy.